February 23, 2010

REVIEW: Shutter Island


I've always felt that Martin Scorsese is one of the best directors ever. What he's done with Shutter Island backs up that fact. It's been a while since Scorsese's Cape Fear and he hasn't missed a beat in the thriller department. While the direction was superb the greatest element was the cinematography from Robert Richardson. He previously shot Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill both stunning films. The strong visuals gave me chills echoing the first time I watched The Shining. It's Kubrick influence was unmistakable but not overwhelming. While some of the issues come from the novel and script the performances aren't hindered by this. This was one of the best performances from Leonardo DiCaprio I've seen in years. Which is understandable since he carries the whole movie. I feel this might end up becoming a thriller classic and might be need multiple viewings for audiences to appreciate it.

A+


No comments:

Post a Comment