February 2, 2010

82nd Academy Award Nominees

The nominees list was revealed this morning. Some where surprising others not so much. Here are some of my predictions for the awards. I'll leave out categories I don't feel confident predicting on.


BEST ACTOR: George Clooney (Up In The Air) and Jermey Renner (Hurt Locker) seem to me as the front runners.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Hands down Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds) should win.


BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Anna Kendrick (Up In The Air) gave one of the best performances from anyone in her generation which might be enough for her to win.


BEST FOREIGN FILM: The French prison epic The Prophet seems to me the perfect choice.


BEST ANIMATED FILM: Pixar has had stranglehold on the animated film award for years now. It would be nice to see Fantastic Mr. Fox win.


BEST PICTURE: I'd love to see District 9 win but it looks like it could be down to Inglourious Basterds and Hurt Locker. Of course Avatar could win just because of it's amazing box office.


BEST DIRECTOR: I believe Katheryn Bigelow (Hurt Locker) is the front runner but I could see Quentin Tarantino (Inglourious Basterds) winning. Jason Reitman (Up In The Air) could come out of nowhere to take the award. I highly doubt James Cameron will win because Avatar is a flawed film.


BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: It could come down to Precious and Up In The Air.


BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Quentin Tarantino's script for Inglourious Basterds is near perfect. I assume if he doesn't win Best Director he'll be getting this one.


BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: I really want to see Hans Zimmer win for Sherlock Holmes but I could also see James Horner winning for Avatar.


BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: While most will think this is given for Avatar. District 9 had the better special effects and the film's aliens looked/interacted realistically. The small budget could also be a reason to earn the award.

No comments:

Post a Comment