January 3, 2010

REVIEW: The Lovely Bones


I have to admit I never really got into Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures. So when I heard Lovely Bones was being compared to it I got worried I wouldn't enjoy the film. The film's dark subject matter doesn't exactly lend itself to most people loving it. I do however think Jackson did an amazing job with the story and emotional aspects. There had been some negativity towards the use of special effects in the small film but I think it was needed. It's visually stunning and did feel it was shot in the 70's. Yet the film is far from perfect. I thought the young cast had great performances but the adults roles weren't as convincing. I expected Peter Jackson made this film for award considerations but I'm not sure if he'll end up getting any. It's worth checking out if not only for curiosity to see Jackson work outside of the Tolkien realm.

B-

No comments:

Post a Comment