May 30, 2010

Guillermo Del Toro Leaves The Hobbit, So What's Next?


Guillermo del Toro has announced on TheOneRing he will be stepping downa as director for The Hobbit. There has been talk for months of problems with MGM dealing with it's finical troubles which had been hindering the production start. I expect that Peter Jackson will wait it out then jump on board to diret the two films.

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life. After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."


So what's next for Guillermo? There seems to be lots of projects he could take on which include a new Frankenstein film for Universal Pictures. There has been talk of him directing Doctor Strange for Marvel Studios. Hellboy 3 has also been in development which would be the final movie in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment