September 28, 2010

Films That Should Be Made: The Spectre

With recent talk from screenwriter Greg Berlanti of how dark The Flash could be. I'm wondering what other characters could be DC Entertainment be thinking of adapting into dark horror themed films. I just discovered the animated short film for The Spectre and I'm hooked in. I believe this character has some serious promise if done properly. The vengeful hero was a cop who was murdered but never moved on to the afterlife. He enacts grave revenge on those he believes deserves it. In the short film he does this by poltergeist means possessing people and objects to monstrous ends.


I've been recently turned back into enjoying the characters from DC. It's been a long time since I've cared for anyone except Batman. Warner Bros.  proved with Watchmen they want to be more risky with their comic book films. With Green Lantern looking to expand the DC Universe I'm confident we'll be seeing more interesting genre based heroes being adapted into movies.

Deadman is one of these heroes who I believe could end up branching out the DC Universe. The story revolved around a murdered Daredevil who becomes a ghostly hero. Guillmero del Toro is somewhat attached to the film but I assume he could end up only be involved with writing/producing duties. I would love to see DC take risks with characters like this one and Spectre. Previously they tried with Constantine but it didn't push the boundaries enough.




WHO SHOULD DIRECT?: I would honestly like someone direct who has a horror background. Yet with somewhat of a auteur pedigree of film making. Some directors that come to mind include Matt Reeves (Let Me In, Cloverfield) and Vincenzo Natali (Splice, Cube). Matt Reeves is currently being looked at to direct both Wolverine 2 and Superman but if he doesn't get hired I think Spectre would be a perfect for him. Vincenzo Natali is another director who likes to work on both horror and comic films. Natali recently said he'd love to make an Alpha Flight film and has been attached to direct Swamp Thing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment